Ok, I know everyone is all about using the crockpot in the winter, but I am a big fan of summertime use. I mean who really wants to heat their whole house up with the oven when it’s 100 degrees outside? Not me! This recipe is absolutely perfect to make in a double batch and freeze! I actually portion it out and then freeze it that way so that I have simple grab-n-go portions on hand.
You can serve this however you want. As a bowl, in a salad, get creative!
What You Need
- 5 lbs. pork shoulder or roast boneless, cut in to cubes
- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 T TLC Original House Seasoning
- 1 T. oregano
- ¾ T. cumin
- 3 shallots peeled and rough chop
- 4 oranges juiced or 2 c. chicken stock and 4 T. orange juice concentrate
- 1 Jalapeño seeded and rough chopped
How to Make It
- Rinse and dry the pork. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat, and brown the pork cubes on all sides.
- In the crockpot, put the orange juice, pork, cumin, and oregano
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove from pot and shred pork, discarding of any fatty pieces. Keep liquid, and strain if necessary. Add the shredded pork and liquid back in to the crock pot and let cook another 20 minutes.
- If desired, heat a small amount of olive oil and a skillet and fry the carnitas until just crispy, before serving. Enjoy!
- TIP: I like to serve in a bowl with a bit of cheese, fresh jalapeños and sour cream, and with a healthy tortilla.
Tiny Little Chef Seasonings Used or Reccomended (click to purchase and use code BLOG for 15% off)
You may also like: Crockpot Veggie Lasagna Recipe