I absolutely LOVE french onion soup and have since I was a kid. I know cutting all those onions an be a nightmare, so here is a pro tip from my over 20 years a Chef…chew strong mint gum while cutting onions. The stronger the better!! Even an original altoid will work wonders on minimizing those tears.
What You Need
- 4 c. sliced yellow onions
- ½ c. unsalted butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- 40 ounces beef broth
- 2 T. dry sherry optional
- 1 T. dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices French or whole wheat bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat.
- Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
- Add beef broth, sherry and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer).
- Layer each slice of bread with your cheeses.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.